Monday, March 25, 2013

Sometimes you get the Buffalo, sometimes you get the horns.

If only Friday's Antelope Island Buffalo Run 100 mile had been about 80 miles shorter I would be writing a  different report. As it stands, I am trying to fish the bright side out of a big fat DNF.

While I didn't feel nearly as sharp for this race as I did for my last race in January, I was reasonably sure that I could finish close to my time from last year. I had a solid race plan and was well rested. I was relaxed and ready to roll at noon on Friday when the 100 milers started into the cold but relatively sunny course. 

Within a few miles I was cruising along with a revolving pack consisting of Tomokazu Ihara, Matthew VanHorn, Craig Lloyd and Robert (Bob) Meuller. The banter was friendly and I was content to mostly cruise behind and listen. Matt chose to do the loop first while Craig, Bob and I headed out to the Elephant Head out and back to get our Bieber stickers. I didn't feel great but figured it was early and that there was still plenty of time to settle in.

Bob pushed a steady pace up the switchbacks with Craig and I tucked in behind. I felt like I was working really hard to keep up but tried not to let it show. Matt was right on pace as he joined up with us again just before mile 15. We all broke up a bit as we passed through the S/F aid station around mile 19. Then things started to get ugly.

Over the next 10 miles my energy level steadily dropped as I tried to convince myself otherwise. There was nothing wrong mechanically or fuel-wise. I was taking in steady calories and fluids but felt like death. By the time I hit the Ranch I was pretty much reduced to walking. I (slowly) hauled my sorry carcass back to Lower Frary and called it a day.

In the end I got to run a few miles with some great people, watch my father finish his first sub-24 100, hang out with some old friends and make some new ones. Since then and up to now I am still not feeling too well and have to tell myself that I made the right decision. I've had a string of pretty successful races over the last year and a half and am not going to let one bad day get me down.

Not to mention I'm really excited about my upcoming schedule. It's gonna be huge!

3 comments:

  1. If The Dragon didn't win every now or then, pretty soon there wouldn't be any more dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folks have too narrow a definition of good days/bad days...sounds to me like not finishing the 100 just meant not finishing the 100 not failing to spend some time in another beautiful place in the world with the fellowship up of other running kinfolk. A win? Maybe not, but hardly what I'd call a loss. Just another healthy dose of perspective on life on the whole, I says. 'Course I didn't finish the 100 either :) Recover strong/be well!

    ReplyDelete