Thursday, April 11, 2013

I hate jogging.

"Act like a horse. Be dumb. Just run." --Jumbo Elliot
 
Now, wait.  Before you send me hate mail or call me a hypocrite, hear me out. 

 I don't have anything against joggers.  I'm not opposed to hikers, walkers or back-of-the-pack amblers either.  In fact, I have respect for anyone who makes an effort to be active and get their carcass moving in an attempt to be be a better person. Swimming, bobsledding, crossfitting or whatever, I truly believe that making even a small commitment to fitness of any sort gives a person back countless gifts.

What I mean is that I hate jogging as opposed to running.  Whether I am racing, training for a race or just out for the enjoyment of it, I find that I am happiest when I am pushing myself to the edges of my physical limits.  Lung-bursting, snot-dripping, ohshitifelldowngetupgogogo running.  I want to feel worked like a coal mine mule by the time I am done.

Jogging is different.  Jogging is composed and orderly.  Jogging for me is the equivalent of being a doggalo walked on a leash at the dog park, never getting a chance to bolt after that damn squirrel. Driving a Corvette around school zones at 20mph. Reined in.  Myeh.  It does not make me feel whole like running does.

For the last few months it seems like I have been consistently recovering from racing, illness or minor injury.  I haven't been able to run like I want to.  Presently I am nursing a minor calf strain. While I can get out and hike and jog slowly, I cannot go past about third gear.  I know that I will prolong my recovery if I do.  So very frustrating.

So for now I am a hiker and a jogger.  Not by choice but because I want to run again as soon as I can.  I really do like joggers.  I just hate jogging.  And horses.  They creep me out.

2 comments:

  1. Some day, when you have grown old, you will fondly remember the glory days when you could "only jog". By the way, standing at 18 on the MMT wait list, it looks more and more likely you will get in. If you "jog" the whole way at 4 miles per hour, you will finish just behind an old, old man who will be steadily jogging at 4.1 mph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point if your going to work out anyway why not push it and WORK OUT. Sometimes I jog for the enjoyment and scenery but I realized I could be getting in much better shape if I would push it and spend that time building more endurance and muscle that can be fun also and a big part of what I am doing when I go "jogging" I'm going to make it a point to go "running" half the time as I've thought I jogged check the box but not really getting the workout I could be getting.

    ReplyDelete