Monday, April 1, 2013

The hardest part...

“Waiting's exhausting.”
―Toba Beta

On Easter morning my father and I took a run/hike to the top of Indian Mountain.  We started in the dark with the aim of getting in a few miles, some vertical and catching the sunrise from the top of the peak.  With a pack of doggalos in tow we moved along at an easy pace through the cool morning. The last mile or so is quite steep and I made a game of trying to race Ella.  I didn't stand a chance.
 I arrived at the top a couple minutes ahead of my dad and was soon voted most popular as I handed out snacky-snacks to the four legged runners.  My dad followed shortly and informed me that I was not at the "very tippy-top" and that we needed to hurry if we were going to get there in time. A hundred yards south and two and a half vertical feet later we apparently topped out. 

I don't know if his timing is really as impeccable as my father might lead some to believe but we waited there for a total of about thirty seconds before the sun peeked over Bonneville Peak to the East.  Impressive.
So many things seem to be going on in my life right now and I often feel I need to be hurrying to do, well, everything.  I have gotten pretty good at cultivating a sense of urgency.  Maybe someday I will have the wisdom and experience to realize that sometimes I am right where I am supposed to be.

And always bring snacky-snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment